CHR's Steam Train Half Marathon & Relay
The 2024 Steam Train Half Marathon & Relay will take place on Saturday, April 13 at 10am! Registration is open on RunSignup. Spectator tickets are available for purchase on Essex Steam Train & Riverboat.
Proceeds will benefit Community Health Resources (CHR), an essential behavioral healthcare provider, as well as three local nonprofits: the Essex Public Library in Essex, the Deep River Fire Department, and The Nest Coffee House / A Little Compassion Inc.
History of the Steam Train Half Marathon
The Steam Train Half Marathon and Relay is the only road race in the country where runners try to outrun a century-old Steam Train. Originally founded by Team Making a Difference (MAD), the Steam Train Half Marathon brings friends and family members from across the country together each year to support CHR. Learn more about the history of the event here.
- Pre-event registration is required through RunSignup.
- All runners receive a package of great swag!
- Spectators can ride along on the steam train for $25; tickets may be purchased via Essex Steam Train & Riverboat’s website
Race Day Schedule
- 8:30am: Day-of check-in begins
- 10am: Race kicks off
- 11:15am: Relay exchange at Deep River Landing
- 12pm: After-Party at Surfridge Brewing Company (6 Main Street, Building 3, Essex)
- 12:30pm: Awards Ceremony
Early Packet Pickup
Friday, April 12, 11am-1pm at Marathon Sports, 238 Main St, Old Saybrook, CT 06475
Special for CHR Employees
Register for the Virtual Half Marathon for only $25 on RunSignup! Registration includes a t-shirt, bib, and finishers medal.
To sign up for the Steam Train Staff Challenge, please email Eliza Patterson at firstname.lastname@example.org.