jelly star


The philosophy of CHR is to treat each individual with dignity and respect. If you feel you have been treated unfairly or if you feel you have been denied any of your rights or if you think a staff member has violated CHR’s standards, the following grievance procedure will apply. This procedure also applies to family members and significant others of people receiving services.

Who to go to with your complaint

Complaints should be directed to one of the agency’s Consumer Rights Officers (CRO). They have been trained in how to handle a complaint or grievance. The Consumer Rights Officer will keep a written log of the complaint and efforts made toward resolution. You can contact a Consumer Rights Officer by calling the main number at any CHR site.


Anyone registering a complaint will be encouraged to resolve the issue at the lowest possible level. Every effort will be made to resolve complaints before they reach the level of a formal grievance. The person taking the complaint will ask you details about the situation (i.e., who, what, when, where, etc.) and will keep a record of the complaint. He/she may need to do an investigation that may entail interviewing witnesses. The investigation will be completed within 10 working days of the filing of the complaint unless special circumstances require additional inquiry (a 15-day extension will apply in these cases).

Appeal Process

If you are not satisfied with the results of this investigation, you have 10 business days to decide if you want to appeal to the Senior Vice President of Adult Services.

Your rights and responsibilities during the grievance process

You have the right to be represented by an advocate (friend, family member, attorney, etc.). Ask the Consumer Advocate or CRO for information about how to access advocacy services. You have the right to receive a written response that details the complaint and resolution taken to resolve the complaint.

You have the right to take your complaint to the next highest level if you are not satisfied with the outcome.

To contact a Consumer Rights Officer call:

  • Enfield: 860-623-3039
  • Manchester: 860-730-8939 or 860-646-5995
  • CHR East programs: 860-461-6938

CHR is accredited by the Joint Commission who encourages anyone who has a concern or complaint about safety and/or quality of care issues to bring them first to the healthcare organizations leaders, which will often lead to immediate resolution of the matter.

If you wish to report a complaint to Joint Commission you may do so online, by e-mail, fax or regular mail. On-line: Public/Complaint E-mail: Fax: Office of Quality Monitoring, (630) 792-5636 Mail: Office of Quality Monitoring The Joint Commission One Renaissance Blvd. Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181

Similarly, if you feel you’ve been discriminated against with the services you have received, you may also contact the Connecticut Judicial Branch and the Office of Civil Rights at any time by completing the Discrimination Complaint Form (JD-ES-284):

Do you have additional questions? Please contact us at