View PDF: What is Telehealth
What is Telehealth
Telehealth is a way to visit with healthcare providers, such as your doctor or nurse practitioner from any place, including your home. You don’t go to a clinic or other CHR location.
How do I use telehealth?
- You talk to your provider by phone, computer, or tablet, using video so you and your provider can see each other
- Sometimes, you may talk to your provider by phone only using audio
How does telehealth help me?
- You don’t have to go to a clinic or other CHR location to see your provider
- You won’t risk getting sick from other people
Can telehealth be bad for me?
- You and your provider won’t be in the same room, so it may feel different than an office visit
- Your provider may make a mistake because they cannot examine you as closely as at an office visit (We don’t know if mistakes are more common with telehealth visits.)
- Your provider may decide you still need an office visit
- Technical problems may interrupt or stop your visit before you are done
Will my telehealth visit be private?
- We use telehealth technology that is designed to protect your privacy
- We will not record visits with your provider
- Your provider will tell you if someone else from their office can hear or see you
- If people are close to you, they may hear something you did not want them to know. You should be in a private place, so other people cannot hear you
- If you use the Internet for telehealth, use a network that is private and secure
- There is a very small chance that someone could use technology to hear or see your telehealth visit
How much does a telehealth visit cost?
- What you pay depends on your insurance
- A telehealth visit will not cost any more than an office visit
- If your provider decides you need an office visit in addition to your telehealth visit, you may have to pay for both visits
What if I try telehealth and don’t like it?
- You can stop using telehealth any time, even during a telehealth visit
- You can still get an office visit if you no longer want a telehealth visit