Peer Support Specialist (Part-time/Enfield, CT) - 2419
REQUISTION #: 2419
DATE POSTED: 3/2/2017
JOB TITLE: Peer Support Specialist
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Part-Time
SCHEDULED HOURS: 10 hours/week (2 weekdays, 1 weekend)
SITE LOCATION: Enfield
OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
To work in the Community Support/Recovery Pathways program to provide on-going recovery support, skill building activities, and educational opportunities for individuals served in these programs.
- Providing a comprehensive array of skill-building activities focused on building and maintaining a therapeutic relationship with the client.
- Facilitating connections to the individual’s recovery supports.
- Emphasizing the individual’s choices, goals, and recovery path.
POSITION CORE COMPETENCIES:
Interpersonal Communication: Establishes positive rapport and trust with clients and co-workers; demonstrates core TAG value of Trustworthiness.
Collaboration & Teamwork: Effectively participates as a team member to advance common team goals; demonstrates core TAG value of Collaboration.
Cultural Competence, Diversity & inclusion: Effectively and respectfully works with others who have diverse traditions, beliefs, interpersonal styles, attitudes and behaviors.
Systems Oriented Practice: Functions effectively within the organizational and financial structures of CHR and other external systems in which they interact. Maintains the standards set forth by professional ethical guidelines and the code of conduct of CHR.
Quality & Performance Improvement: Works individually and within teams to improve skills and to achieve performance goals and improve outcomes; demonstrates core TAG values of Choice & Empowerment.
Informatics: Uses information technology to support and improve organizational effectiveness.
Safety Environment: Identifies, prevents and reports unsafe situations; uses appropriate procedures to assure safety environment; demonstrates core TAG value of Safety.
Screening & Assessment: Conducts brief, evidence-based and developmentally appropriate screening and conducts or arranges for more detailed assessments when indicated.
Care Planning & Care Coordination: Creates and/or implements integrated care plans, ensures access to linked services; exchanges information among clients, family members, and providers.
Intervention: Provides range of brief, focused prevention, treatment and recovery services for clients.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop an understanding of individual’s strengths and internal and external recovery resources.
- Use Motivational Interventions to assist clients in meeting their goals and moving along their paths to recovery
- Provide support and education in areas related to successful integration in the community, such as assisting clients in obtaining/ maintaining housing and utilities; learning how to use transportation services, planning and preparing nutritional meals, etc.
- Provide intermittent skill-building and support for self-management, self-advocacy, health and well-being, and using community supports.
- Work with the individual to engage and communicate with family and friends, be safe in the community, care for children and other family members, and solve everyday problems that arise.
- Implement other needed skill building activities, as contained in the individual’s rehabilitation/recovery plan, directed at reducing disability, restoring functioning, achieving as much independence as possible in social, interpersonal, family and community activities and responsibilities.
- Participate in the implementation of health and wellness education programs.
- Facilitate educational workshops on topics related to recovery and wellness as assigned
- Meet recordkeeping requirements consistent with program and agency
- Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings, case conference, supervision and other meetings as assigned
- Maintains documentation in compliance with agency and program standards.
- Participates in staff meetings, supervision, trainings and other meetings as assigned.
- Additional duties as required.
Education: H.S. diploma or GED required. Recovery Support Specialist Certification from Advocacy Unlimited is required.
Experience: Prior experience in working with people with severe and prolonged mental illnesses and/or substance abuse disorders is required.
Licensure/Certification/Registration: Valid driver’s license required. CPR and First-Aid certification within 6 months of hire.
Training: Recovery Support Specialist Certification from Advocacy Unlimited is required.
For current CHR employees please use an internal application form found on the CHR Intranet.